Monday, November 7, 2011

Rothbury Estate Wine: Shiraz Cabernet at The Little Snail




I'm not a big red wine drinker and I put that down to my level of palate immaturity and impatience. "Oh it gets better after a few swallows" some say. Yeh right. Try a few glasses.
Alas they were right and I was wrong.
My appreciation of the Rothbury Estate Shiraz Cabernet @ The Little Snail did improve after some warmth and aeration.

On the eyes: A beautiful magenta progressing to a fuschia on its meniscus. Its a colour that you can stare at and get lost in its depths. But not too long! My eyes began to burn and water as the high alcohol content of 13.5% stripped the outer epithelium of my corneas. Note to self: Close your eyes when appreciating the nose. Not a wine recommended for those who have undergone corneal transplants, cataract or refractive surgery in the last week.

On the nose: Moderate tannins folded into the sweetness of the shiraz. It was quite rich and fruity.

On the palate: All I could appreciate in the first swallow was the burning eyes and sides of the throat until the tannins subsided. Then the warm rich deep fruit came out. Reminded me of a raspberry-rhubarb crumble on a winters night in front of the tv.
What did I have it with? At first I had it by itself as it was the last bottle standing on the table (not a popular one with my family- and looking around the restaurant it was a similar story). Mum had a glass with her Beef Tenderloin Fillet but shuddered stopped drinking. I guess it must not have matched well - which was quite odd.


I then had it with bites of my dessert a Banana Liquer Crepe filled with mascarpone cream and strawberry compote. I hesitated but i found the wine went well with the dessert. It brought depth to the strawberries but masked and took over the banana liquer which was unfortunate.






On a side note, if you ever do go to The Little Snail while in Sydney you must try the Kahlua infused chocolate mousse. It is amazing. Outer casing of rich dark tempered chocolate and the richest mousse I've ever tasted. It was so creamy with little chocolate shaved flecks mixed in. Ahh... hold it in your mouth and feel it melt :)

Overall we had a lovely night of fine French food with good wine - the Semillon Sauvignon Blanc and the Shiraz Cabernet from Rothbury Estate, topped off with an amazing fireworks display in Darling Harbour as we walked back to our car. Thank you Sydney!




The Little Snail can be found at:
50 Murray St, Pyrmont NSW 2009, Australia
 


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment