Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fresh peppermint tea


After a long cool summer and an even cooler autumn we now sit in the middle of winter and experience a lift of temperature. 
Could spring be coming a little early?
I dare not say in case it chases the weather away.
Nevertheless, I sit at home on my second day of sick leave enjoying fresh peppermint tea straight from my balcony garden.
It’s always a joy to harvest what you have grown; albeit small and simple. 




It’s a beginning!

This tea was also a beginning for me, the first of many trials and errors.
I simply took a handful of peppermint and stuck it in a glass of water after washing it a few times to get rid of soil and any bugs. 
It was nice steeping at 80 degrees. Very pretty with a light green-yellow stain flowing down from the surface. It did indeed flavor the water like the familiar mint tea you can find in tea bags but really really subtle. 
Note to self: use 2 handfuls next time!
I steeped the second cup right after the water boiled at 100 degrees. Ahh what a mistake! I was drinking peppermint spinach soup! That’s right- peppermint leaves do taste like spinach once boiled.
Who would have thought?

It's an impressive looking drink though! 
I think I'll dehydrate the leaves before drinking next time

No comments:

Post a Comment