Sunday, December 4, 2011

Mama's Cafe, Cessnock



Whenever I go travelling I like to go where the locals go to eat. This usually results in
a) good food
b) cheap food
 
It wasn’t until a sleepy breakfast on a Monday morning in Cessnock with the family when I learnt that I had inherited this understanding from my father. He had gone to the young man behind the bar at the local pub and had asked where was good around here. The young man then pointed us to Mama’s Café on the main stretch of road in Vincent Street. 
It was a bit windy that morning (there were heaters but they didn’t help much) so we opted to sit inside. It had a family friendly atmosphere with one wall covered with kids drawing as well as an old fire place with a fighting fish floating lazily in its glass home.
I wish i was a kid. pencils, crayons, colouring-in books, a toy corner...hours of entertainment here!

sleepy fish

Service was prompt and we ordered straight away. 
Piazza D'oro coffee. Not bad, just not amazing.
Coffee was ok. I ordered a skim cappuccino. It was standard and warmed me up. I felt that it was more so the coffee beans than the barista’s skill that made it slightly mundane.

Tea for two!

The origins of the tea for two was questionable- it came in a silver pot without any tea leaves or tea bags. Not a lot of fragrance so we concluded that the English Breakfast must have been brewed from a tea bag (quite possibly Lipton) which was then thrown out in embarrassment.
English Breakfast tea

However, we were quite impressed when the food arrived.
We didn’t have to wait too long and we were honestly still waking up.
I ordered the bacon, egg & cheese roll with BBQ sauce ($6.50). 
Giant egg and bacon roll. $6.50!
It was a decent feed for $6.50! Lots of rashes of bacon, bubbly grilled cheese and 2 runny eggs on a toasted burger bun. I love runny yolks. It was definitely a roll to be remembered. One that I would have again if I was driving through Cessnock.
There was also the Works Breakfast ordered that was made up of: bacon, eggs, sausage, grilled tomatoes, English spinach, hash browns and buttered toast for $15.90. This was shared between two adults and yet they could not finish it.
Works Breakfast $15.90


So when you’re in Cessnock on your way to/from the Hunter Valley Wineries, stop over for brekkie!

Cafe info:
Mama's
115 Vincent Street 
Cessnock NSW 2325
phone: 02 4990 2555



View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment